Will my Australorp want to fight?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eveandmisspepper, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Eveandmisspepper

Eveandmisspepper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Hello, I have a question. I have just one Australorp who is in need of a friend, if I invest in another hen will my Australorp want to fight the new hen? I don't want to see my chickens fight.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens will establish a pecking order the only way they know how- they will squabble and fight. If you stay uninvolved the process will go much quicker and be over sooner.

Good luck.

3. Eveandmisspepper

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the advice! so I should just stay out of it and not try to break it up. That will be hard to do!! Thanks again!

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Oh, I'd get her a friend or two in a heartbeat, and let them work it out. Kind of like having kids...

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I agree with staying out of it, to a point. You really should quarintine for a month when bringing an adult bird in to your flock, even if it's just a flock of one. As far as introductions go it will go much better if you pen the birds next to each other for a week or two so they can see/hear each other but not get to each other. There will still be some fussing, but it's not as likely to get bloody or out of hand. It's worth the hassle though, chooks are much happier when they're not alone.

6. Eveandmisspepper

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:Hen fights can get bloody?? Oh my gosh that is scary!! Maybe I will quarintine
    Thank you for the info [​IMG]

7. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    my hens just pecked each other for like a day and the next day they had no problems.......hope you get i sorted out........[​IMG]

8. Eveandmisspepper

Sep 9, 2010
    rooster brandon. :

my hens just pecked each other for like a day and the next day they had no problems.......hope you get i sorted out........[​IMG]

Thank you, hopefully that'll be the same for me. Australorp hens are known for being friendly so maybe they won't fight at all!![​IMG]

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I simply adore my BA hen, Betty. She is the sweetest thing, and I love her dark brown eyes. [​IMG]

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Then hens won't fight like roosters, at least none of mine have, but they can harrass a newbie to the to the point of blood shed. BA's are pretty mellow in general so hopefully it won't be a tough integration for you. Potentially tough or not though I still highly reccomend quarintine. It's a bit of a hassle, but it doesn't take much of a search to turn up a ton of "Really wish I would have" threads. Another thing that can really cut down on problems when you introduce the new hen is to set up another feed/water station. Seems like the first thing an ornery (and yours may not be) hen will do with a newbie is to chase them away from food and water so having two seperate spots where it's available can make things easier for the new chook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by