Will my babies be okay tonight ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jacklynn, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada, so it's freezing.

It's 11 F (-11 C), it's getting colder and colder.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weather&placecode=caon0623&switchto=f&switchto=c

That's the weather report for my area.

Will my Bantam Cochins be okay ? They are fully feathers, they are a year old. I have a pair of blacks in our insulated shed out back, I have 7 in the coop, which is sealed up (not insulated though) & 1 in our uninsulated weather proof tack room. Will they be alright ?

2. Jacklynn

[​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, year old birds will be fine as long as they are out of the wind. Why is the one alone? With a cuddle buddy would be better if at all possible.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I think they should be okay as long as you have no drafts in any of the areas and there is plenty of litter on the floor. My concern is for the 1 in the tack room. Is it in a barn? You may have to add some hay or pine shavings as it doesnt have another chicken to huddle up with. You could also put it in a dog carrier with hay or shavings to provide a smaller area that would keep its body heat in. I have large birds and it is supposed to be -25 to -35 tomorrow but so far they have been doing okay in their tractor. The big thing is drafts as that will kill them quicker than cold.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Single digits expected here, so last night I put the young stock in the main coop instead of letting them rost in the small adjacent coop. They have been sharing the run for months but never would share the coop. Tonite everyone is snuggled together tightly and hopefully keeping warm.

6. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    DH accidentally locked a lone Welsummer hen out in the run on a -10 degree F night. I was surprised that she was fine! Chickens are much hardier than I expected.

7. cumulus10

cumulus10 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
  8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I'm also in Ontario, south-western Ontario, and I honestly lose sleep everytime it gets this cold. Last night was clear, bitter cold, with a HUGE, bright moon. My roos were going ALL night. I was up every 15 minutes, convinced my boys were trying to alert me that they were all freezing to death. (I really do know better - but I worry.) My birds all seem to do fine out of the wind, with lots of bedding (that they don't use except for dust bathing), with heated water, loads of free-choice feed, and with company. Lots of puffed up feathers these days, for sure. (And my birds also have seriously bald butts right now because they're coop-bound and I have a feather eater!! I've seen her in action!) They do seem to be terribly hardy - even with bald butts. But I still worry. [​IMG]

9. Jacklynn

I went out to check on the pair in the shed, because they are closest to the house, they were fine.

The one in the tackroom is alone only because I don't have any other chickens to stick in with him, my girls are all kind of bonded together. I'm preparing a dog crate with straw tomorrow morning for him [​IMG] He has a rabbit that lives with him, but I doubt they will cuddle. :O

Thanks everyone, I'll give an update tomorrow morning.

10. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    right now it's 2 degrees outside. tomorrow night it's supposed to be -7. i know they are "fine" but i still worry. it's been colder already (well not colder then -7) but a friend of mine gave me a scolding this evening about not turning the heat lamp on for them. i told her the chickens are not dogs and just because she wouldn't leave a dog out in this weather doesn't mean my chickens aren't ok. grrr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by