Will my baby right it self

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mstricer, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay my baby marans was hatched yesterday and this is what its little leggy looks like. I read that they can right them selfs in a few days if its just on leg is this true?
    [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Your little chickie has "Spraddle Leg". It can be cured. You need to get three little bandaids. Wrap one around each leg at about the hock joint with the pad of the bandaid around the leg and the sticky parts together to form a tab. Take the third bandaid and cut the two sticky tabs off. pull the leg tabs together so you have about 1 inch between the legs. Use the two sticky bandaid pieces that you cut off as tape to hold the tabs together. Leave this on the chick for 24 hours. Take the brace off and see how the legs are doing. If not corrected yet, repeat the process. Normally onle takes 1 or 2 days to correct. Make sure the little chickie is not getting picked on by the others. They will learn how to walk with it on but make sure that it can get to food and water.
    Good luck and keep us posted

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    He's able to get to water and food and seems to be trying to correct it. I have the water and food at the other end of brooder tote and hes able to get there here seems to have the strenght to move about. Its only one leg. I only have one other chick right now. Its encouraging him, its cute. Funny he keeps forgetting its his foot and pecks it every now and then.

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I had a BR that did that.
    I wrapped each leg with tissue to protect it than cut a piece of duct tape want around 1st leg over the tissue then arond 2nd leg with enough space in between to hold leg in but not too much or they cannot stand up. I had to redue it a couple of times to get it right for the chick. After 1 week I cut it off. The chick was bowlegged so I put a leg band on it to check is progress. Now 4 week later and you can't tell the difference in them.
    Good luck with yours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by