1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my bantams eat my lemon tree leaves of the tree?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kezabel, Sep 26, 2009.

1. kezabel

kezabel Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I just bought a lemon tree and was thinking of planting it down where the chickens free range, will they eat the leaves of a lemon tree? should I make a chicken wire cage around the lemon tree until it is big enough for them to no longer reach the leaves?

2. kezabel

sorry to bump this post but I need and answer pretty quick cause I wanna plant it NOW!!!!

3. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    they did mine [​IMG] i had to get it out of my yard until i could plant with protection. They dont bother the larger one, but they ate the leaves and budding lemons off it...They say its not good for them either. Hope ya get more response though..

4. kezabel

Thanks for your reply, I quess I'm putting up the chicken wire then. They've eaten everything else in their part of the yard, I now have the vege garden surrounded in orchid mesh and they can't get in. The ground is all dirt now and I've only had them for 5 months. Anything green in my yard has gone

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by