Will my bigger birds peck my new bantams in the chicken house?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I just got some Mille Fleur D uccles from a friend of dh's. They are a trio. Last night was their second night here. I kept them in a cage in the chicken house the first night.
    They are now sitting up on their own roost with the other chickens. We have to go into town to run some errands and I am worried the bigger birds will peck them to death or something if they get a hold of them. Am I worrying too much or will they be fine all together? I would hate for something to happen to them and have them get hurt.

2. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I don't think you are worrying too much. I heard all kinds of opinions when I got a couple of silkie crosses to introduce to my two full size girls. I heard the extreme of don't ever mix the sizes, to I do it all the time and its fine. I was planning to do it, but one of them turned out to be a rooster and I gave up the pair because they were very close.

I'd say, be careful with your introduction. Be around when you do it so that you can stop any traumatic situations. Give them plenty of space. I've also heard that if you introduce in the evening (when they've gone to roost) its a smoother transition -- then again I've heard others dispute it.

In short, I don't think there's a clear answer here. Its really going to depend on your birds personalities, etc...

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have thought about it and I decided that maybe I should just put the new birds in the wire cages until we get back. One thing is that they might not dare to get down of their roost to go and eat and drink. At least if they were in their cage they would have their own water and food. I don't want to deprive them off food.
    Dh says I worry too much about everything. [​IMG]

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    My millies and the big girls all get along fine. Only once did I ever have a problem with aggression, and that was when I introduced a whole bunch of Red Stars (hybrids) to the flock, and one of them was super mean. DH culled that one the first couple minutes we had it.

5. scoobychick

scoobychick Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I have bantams and RIR they did a little pecking so everyone knew where they stood it the pecking order then it stopped they will get pecky at meal time sometimes mine NEVER pecked until fethers were missing now they all seem to get along

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I've got EE's and little OEGB bantams together in a sale pen. They are a little crowded right now but I still don't have any real issues...just one RIR rooster that is convinced he needs to irritate everyone...the other birds don't take him to serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by