Will My Birds Make It?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Okay, tonight it is going to be 18*F. I am not worried about this, but I am this: On Monday night it is supposed to be 10*F with a wind chill of 0*F. On tuesday night there will be freezing rain with temps in single digits or low teens. These are coturnix, and they have a heat lamp. I think I will slide wood over their wire floor tomorrow night. Do you think they will be okay or should I move their cage into the garage? Thanks for the help. Oh, and if it helps we are getting pounded by snow as I speak. The sun won't shine tomorrow and more accumulation is expected.

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They should be fine, it is -8, -18f wind chill, and 3 feet of snow here!! [​IMG]

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I hate winter. I wish it was early fall all year long. Do you have coturnix in that?

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    No, just bobs.
    Me too!!

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a heat lamp in there and I have a removeable wooden floor. I think they will be fine. I wish the eggs wouldn't freeze though.[​IMG]

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Yeah!! [​IMG]

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Make sure they can stay dry.

I'd definitely put the wood in the bottom, if you can. Also, can you wrap most of the cage in a tarp or canvas? Make sure to leave some openings for ventilation. You don't want too much heat or moisture building up, especially since you are using a heat lamp!

Also, if you have some straw, put it in with them BUT NOT where it will be ANYWHERE near the heat lamp. You don't want to start a fire!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a small vent in the corner, and I have already borded up all of the windows. They are fine right now, but I can't keep the waterer un frozen.[​IMG]

9. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    The cold should not be a very big factor for your birds but I would be worried about the wind. Me personally, I would bring the birds into the garage. As long as you cover your birds well with a tarp to keep out the drafts and the rain and put the wood bottom on your pen that you were talking about they should be fine. I personally would put the heat lamp in there as well. You could also put a layer of hay down for them to burrow into.
    Good luck with your birds and try to stay warm.[​IMG]

Edit: Rozzie and I were posting at the same time. She just hit submit before I did.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I'd bring them in if they were mine, too. However, I'm a softy & don't have any outdoor critters. Heck, in weather like this, I'd probably bring a polar bear inside if it were my pet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by