Will my broody stop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Teresaann24, May 16, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My silkie hen has been broody for almost 28 days now her eggs she had under her were no good. She still wont stop she is still sitting tight...What should I do?

I think she may have lice and I'd like to treat her...could I treat her then give her more eggs or what???

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Well do you need her to start laying again? I mean, there is nothing wrong with her being broody - I used to have one that never stopped. I called her "Hokey Pokey"... I'd toss her out of the nest, shed get back in. I'd toss her out, shed get back.
    So, I finally left her alone and never broke her up. SO you can do that.

The lice are no worry. Get some critter safe insect powder (like pyrethrum dust), take her off the nest and work the dust down into her skin. Clean out the nest and scootch the dust around in there, too. If she gets back on, well, she will do it without her "lousy" friends.

If you want to break her up, that might be hard. A persistent brood hen can be tough, especially when she's turned it into a way of life.

The old fashioned way to break her up was to put her in a box with a wire or slat bottom and some food and water. Thats it.
    Keep her imprisoned in there everyday, until she doesnt want anything to do with the nest.
    In really stubborn cases, hang the box off the floor so it swings freely in the air.

I'm only offering this as a suggestion, remember. It may or may not work and I have never tried it. But hey, its worth a shot.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I break my broody's by putting them in a wire dog crate. Leave them in there for 3 or 4 day's that should do the trick.

Edited to add: Be sure to give them food and water [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I moved her out of her nest into a new pen and she went right back to broody mode. I think I am just going to dust her for the lice and her nest a pen and give her some new eggs to start over again with.

5. tykris99

tykris99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    My silkie hen was broody for about 30 days than just hopped off the nest like okay no eggs hatched I'm done hopefully yours will do the same

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:You need to make sure there is nothing in the new pen except food and water. That is all I ever do and it works like a charm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by