Will my cats worry my chickens?

Blackbird13

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Hi everyone, I have a question for you......... I dont have chickens yet but I do have 4 cats, do you think the cats may be a threat to them if and when I do get any? Dont want to have stressed chickens. Thanks for your help x

Yes, cats can be a threat to chickens. They can kill chicks and injure pullets. Once the chickens reach full size then they are generally OK, but it is not unheard of for feral cats to attack and/or kill mature birds, too. I don't think you should decide against owning chickens due to your cats, though. Just know that they may not mix well and keep them separate.

Good luck.

My cat loves to sit outside while the chickens are free-ranging and watch them for hours. This has been going on since I put them outside at about 7 weeks. Neither of my two cats (one now gone
sad.png
) bothered them while they were indoors as little chicks. My neighbors cat also comes and "stalks" them occasionally, but my own cat runs him off! He is my guard-cat. The BR actally comes up to my cat and pecks him - I think she thinks he is a weird looking chicken. Chances are if your cats are happy and well-fed, they will not bother your chickens. It is mostly feral, hungry cats that people have problems with, but as the poster above stated, even those are unlikely to bother full-grown chickens.

Thanks so much for that great advice, hopefully things will be fine, will keep in touch anyway, this is a brilliant site.........thanks again xxx

my cats mingle with the chickens and everyone gets along. Our one cat will even let the chickens peck at him and he dosen't even flinch.

Both of my indoor/outdoor cats can walk right through a "gang" of chickens free ranging in my back yard. Of course, they DID get their noses pecked a few months ago when they sat too close to the run fence to stare at the pullets. Curious chickens stared back, then leaned over and pecked the cats on their noses. On both occasions, the cat would leap up and back, then never sat that close to the fence again.

Now my chickens are free ranging, but they're bigger than the cats.
lol.png
The rooster keeps an eye on 'em, and will follow them at some distance if they are around "his" girls.

Other than that, they all get along fine. My dachshund, on the other hand..... *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom