Will my chick recover?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AdroPrimo, Sep 24, 2015.

1. AdroPrimo

AdroPrimo New Egg

Sep 23, 2015
    Hello Chickie Girlz-

I have a silver laced Wyandotte. She caught a chill at 4 weeks and has not fully recovered after two weeks with lamp on. She should be old enough to not need heat lamp but she still prefers it.

My question is, will she recover? Her body language after two weeks has been hunched over and neck not fully extended. She mostly stand with a little wobble. Weak, Loner. Feathers fluffed. She eats and drinks a little, but she is not as active as the rest of the chicks. I have given her a little sugar water. I have also tried probiotics? Tomorrow I will try yogurt and food mixed. She is separated from the flock with Her gal pal black australorpe to help with stress.

Will she come back as a normal bird? Or will she always be a little slow because of the insufficient heat two weeks ago? (I left a window open and caused a draft). Or is she dying a slow inevitable death?

Thank you for your help. I need it. Bock!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm not clairvoyant, so cannot see her future. You may want to post in detail and photos too at "emergencies, diseases, injures, cures," thread. Drafts are dangerous to any young birds - even for adults they say to build a draft free coop.

She may do better with a little bribing with special treats that are healthy for her - hard boiled egg, plain yogurt, - maybe your feed is too large for her, she may do better if you could grind it smaller, and moisten it with warm liquid. ILL birds sometimes love warm oatmeal. You can also get her Polyvisol infant drops(NO IRON) ,at drugs stores, Walmarts etc.) Give her 2 drops 3 x a day. If she won't eat it off a small bit of food, put 2 drops just inside her beak, so she can decide to swallow or push it back out. You don't want her to fuss and choke on it.

She may be ill and need medication but you would have to have her diagnosed for that. Sick birds generally need the heat a little higher than what would be usual at her age.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She's sick, not cold. Are you feeding medicated or unmedicated feed? If she won't eat, hard boil some eggs. Take the yolk, mash it up, and add a bit of water. It's more fortifying than sugar water.
    I'd get some coccidia medication ASAP if it were my chick.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hope your chick starts perking up soon.

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by