Will my chick survive?

allforchicks

Hatching
Aug 5, 2015
I have this wonderful week old chickling that was doing fine (eating, drinking, dancing, exploring and the works). This chick is free to roam around the house. Yesterday someone accidentally squished him with a door. His head is somewhat deformed, and his food sack is swollen. He can walk fine, he can hear fine, he can chirp fine, some troubles feeding and helping him drink, but he's getting a hang of it. My real question here is if he'll make it alright? I also plan on taking him to a vet soon, but I currently can't afford it. ps. He also opens his beak a lot, maybe to breathe easier? is that normal for this situation?

I'm sorry your chick got hurt. He may have some internal bleeding going on. Is he the only chick you have? First off, I'd suggest that you not allow the chick to wander around unless you are there to supervise. He's a baby, does not have any common sense. Chicks are incredible at finding ways to kill themselves with every day objects! Open beak breathing is a sign of stress, injury, illness, or being overheated. Please, get that chick secured in a brooder.

Last edited:
in case anyone was curious about how the chicken from the op was doing. he's been pretty well, very happy! Prepared for adventures, as always!

Back
Top Bottom