Will my chicken know when her eggs are hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by filimon, Jan 31, 2011.

1. filimon

filimon Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Help! This is my first time with a broody hen and I dont know what to do! Today is day 21 and I have not seen any chicks! is the momma supposed to get off from the eggs? or sill she know when they are due?

PLEASE HELP

2. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    She'll know when their due. Mamma hens are very good about that. She'll also notice when her eggs start peeping. I wouldn't worry.

3. filimon

May 17, 2010
    Thank you! I was getting worried! I am anxious to see the chicks and i dont want anything to go wrong!

4. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Unless you are very lucky, you probably won't see the chicks for a few days after hatching....they will stay very close to their mama....actually UNDER her feathers for warmth. If your broody is very friendly you might be able to slide your hand under and feel for chicks in a day or two. Otherwise, just wait for her to present them to you.

5. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Or your eggs could be bad.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. filimon

May 17, 2010
    She is very friendly but i am always cautious when it comes to a momma and her offspring, so i will not be sticking my hand under her! As for the eggs, she is sitting on 17 and all of them were viable when candled!

All the information online is for hatching by incubator, nothing on natural hatching.

7. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    They should start poping out anytime then. Good luck. Hope you get alot of healthy chicks.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just listen out -- you should hear them before you see them. You might even hear them while they are still in the shell. Just leave her alone and let her do her thing.

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I notice that with my broody's after the babies hatch and she hears me walk in (I keep my broodies in the garage) there's alot of noise (from her) calling them in under her and then she sits very quiet...and so do I...then a little head will pop out.

10. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody would hide them so well you would never know she had them for a week almost! then they got big and couldn't all fit under her wings and she said, never mind... you can see them...
    :)
    I want a broody again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by