1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my chicken lay in a dim coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by weenie007, Sep 10, 2008.

1. weenie007

weenie007 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    I have 10 RIRs I got 2 days ago. My coop is 11'x5 1/2' and I have three window, all about 2'x2'. But it still seems a little dim because one of the windows is facing the north and the other 2 are facing the west. But the west ones have a big bush 5 feet infront of them so it kind of blocks the light. I was wondering with the coop being dim would my hens still lay? I do have flourecent lighting in the coop I can turn on and keep on for very cheap. Should I just keep them on all day? Thanks

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

First of all CONGRATS on your birdies. Now, from experience, I can tell you that they will probably lay alot the first week and then stop until they are comfortable. We have had ours for almost 3 weeks and have only seen 1 egg week since the first week. About the light, the hens need 12-14 hours of light per day and since we are heading into winter, we just put our light in the hen house yesterday. I would suggest adding a light to it. You can find them at yard sales pretty cheap. [​IMG]

3. weenie007

weenie007 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    thanks!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I love your screen name. Bond, Weenie Bond [​IMG]

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Mine do. They seem to like it dark and cozy.

6. pimpdaddywrinkles

pimpdaddywrinkles Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    My 3 girls all lay in the same place in a very dark small tractor. but they free range a full fenced acre yard and even if they decide to drop in the yard they find the deepest darkest shrub root to lay in.

As a mater of fact I was going to install a light for the winter. But my bird friends tell me not to (even in Canada) and that if I'm using a water warming plate that should be enough warmth.

I guess my point is dark is fine for us.

My fist post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by