will my chicken raise my new chicks?

mrsweb

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
I just ordered 6 buff's and 4 guenia's. I have 4 adult buffs, 2 adult barred rocks and one a adult mystery girl who raised my last 9 baby guenia's.
When I bought the babies the hen came as a package deal so I have no idea how old the guenia's were when the hen took over.....Question is~~~~When my day old babies arrive can I put them with the hen or should I brood them?
I have never had day old's before.
Thanks much for any advise.

If your hen is already mothering some chicks, you could try putting the new chicks under her TONIGHT.

I don't know anything about grafting chicks to a mama hen like your situation [my mama had been broody for 3 weeks when I put chicks under her]; you should be ready to rescue them and raise them yourself if she won't accept them.

Best of luck!

I am waiting for my order from Ideal. She said I should have it by the 29th. Guess I will be on pins and needles till then.
Today was the first day I let the hen free range from the guenia's and did they raise cane. I was afraid they thought they were chickens and didnt really know how to make noise. Boy was I wrong. LOL......I have a Buff who seems to be going broody so I may try to put them with her when they arrive that evening. I am pretty new at all this. Got my first chickens (full grown) about 4 months ago and have lost 5 to unknown creatures in the woods when they would not return to their coop for the night. Most of the girls seem to know better.

I had to wait until the chicks were almost full grown, The hens were going to kill them. So I built a smaller next to the big one with a fence. Just this week everyone is getting along. I only wanted to tend to one flock in the winter . Cindy

When i add new chick's in the group, I plan on the day that i will do major cleaning in the coop and run,.
I will put the new ones in the run, before i open up the chick coop, to let the old girls out. then i will go into the coop and start moving things around, so it shakes them up a little, then i will open up the door to let them out in the run, then i will put some vegs and grass down for them to keep them busy, I spread out through out the run, so it not all in one pile.
then i will go clean the coop, and then go rack and clean up the run. so every coop has all new bedding and Dry Stal in it, and the run is racked and dirt is turned up, and with all my moving around and commotion, there all in a tizzy. and i will keep a eye on them,.

Back
Top Bottom