Will my chickens always be this dirty?

Fouty-five pounds a year!!! I'm glad its time to start up the 'ole garden. I clean out my coop once a week and spread the poo in the hay field. My neighbor has already hinted that "Some chicken poo would sure be nice in my garden" (HIS GARDEN THAT IS). I'm sure you'll make good use of the bonus features of owning a chicken flock.

Last edited:
Fouty-five pounds a year!!! I'm glad its time to start up the 'ole garden. I clean out my coop once a week and spread the poo in the hay field. My neighbor has already hinted that "Some chicken poo would sure be nice in my garden" (HIS GARDEN THAT IS). I'm sure you'll make good use of the bonus features of owning a chicken flock.

Maybe you could make a deal. He can have all the poop he cleans up!

I'm glad chickens are pooping machines because it'll make great fertilizer for my garden, especially fruit trees. Today I saw the biggest chicken poop ever. It was 2 inches long wrapped around twice! Should've taken a picture of it. Gotta see it to believe it. It came from my RIR pullet!

How big is your coop and how many birds do you have?

I have 7 birds in a coop that is 9x12.

I fill it with 4 bales shavings in winter and use just a little Food Grade DE to stop moisture build up. (when using DE be very very careful! Read about it before using it!!) I dont use DE to prevent mites or worms, it does not work for that. Instead i use it as a moisture control with my shavings, a small amount will dry up poo fast. I add about 1.5 cups of DE to 4 bales of shavings over a 12x9 floor during the winter and 1/3 cup for 2 bales during the summer.

I also clean my coop every day. Especially under where they roost at night. I add a new bale every 2-3 months as needed. I also have a good sized run and in good weather, they are outside pooping, so less cleanup is needed during summer.

You aren't going to want to hear this. If you don't want poop buildup to be a smelly problem, then keep it cleaned up.

I made the decision early on that keeping chickens does not need to be a smelly endeavor. I employ wood shavings and poop boards in the coop under the roosting perches and clean it every morning.

I use sand in the run, and every time I go to check on the flock, I use a cat box scooper to pick up the poops. Everything gets tossed onto the compost pile and eventually used in the gardens to grow carrots and squash and spinach and chard for the chickens and the household.

No mess, no smell, no flies in summer. Happy, healthy chickens and it's a pleasure to visit them.

It's a bit of work, but it sure is worth it.

I use sand on the floor of my shed coops. I use a kitty litter scoop every day (after I rake the sand into a pile) to get the poo out. I put it in a bucket and remove it- works well!

I have to renew the sand every so often - I buy the DRY bags of play sand (not that wet mason sand).

Back
Top Bottom