Will my chickens and guineas ever learn to use the ramp and door????

Shayna

I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midwest
So I have my guineas and silkies, most are about 3-4 months old, in their new coop and run area. They love the run and spend the day picking around in the grass and dirt. They have been in there for 3 nights now, and every night when it's getting dark, they all start huddling in the corners of the run. We have to pick them up and put them in the coop. After we get some of the guineas in there, usually the others will follow. We have to put all 5 chickens in there. In the morning, the rooster is the first one out when the sun rises, and then everyone follows shortly after. Why won't they go in on their own at night? How long does it typically take for them to learn?

Here are some pictures that show the setup - BUT we added strips of wood across the ramp on the first day after the birds were introduced, so the ramp is NOT smooth like the picture shows...
sheddoor.jpg

run.jpg

theramp.jpg

Ideas? I have considered giving them treats in the coop, but I really didn't want food in there...

Last edited:
My chickens usually take a few days to learn-- guineas is another story. They do their own thing. most of mine come in @ night, but if one guinea thinks they should do something else they all do it. Do you plan on keeping the guineas in the run all the time? If so then hopefully you can always get them back in. Sounds much easier than getting them out of trees or off the roof!

Quote:
How long have they been in the run/coop? I only have two outside right now and they figured it out pretty quick. Even after I kept moving the dog crate they were staying in until we go their coop fixed up. They free range over my whole back yard all day - and it only took three or four times of having to put them in the coop for them to find it themselves. They just started putting themselve to bed. I don't know anything about Guineas, however. And I have heard some disparaging things about the intelligence of Silkies...but my silkies are only two weeks old so I don't know about that either.
idunno.gif
It could just be fuzz envy.

Julie

Last edited:
Quote:
I plan to keep the guineas in there all winter to get them "trained" and then come spring, I'd like them to free range during the day but come in at night. Hopefully they'll learn quickly!

Quote:
How long have they been in the run/coop? I only have two outside right now and they figured it out pretty quick. Even after I kept moving the dog crate they were staying in until we go their coop fixed up. They free range over my whole back yard all day - and it only took three or four times of having to put them in the coop for them to find it themselves. They just started putting themselve to bed. I don't know anything about Guineas, however. And I have heard some disparaging things about the intelligence of Silkies...but my silkies are only two weeks old so I don't know about that either.
idunno.gif

Julie

They've been in there 3 nights now. LOL fuzz envy. They are adorable, I don't know much about their intelligence compared to other chickens, since these are the only ones I've had.

Three nights isn't that long. It seems like chickens are not fans of change. It takes them a while to adapt.

Quote:
I plan to keep the guineas in there all winter to get them "trained" and then come spring, I'd like them to free range during the day but come in at night. Hopefully they'll learn quickly!

Quote:
idunno.gif

Julie

They've been in there 3 nights now. LOL fuzz envy. They are adorable, I don't know much about their intelligence compared to other chickens, since these are the only ones I've had.

Now that you added pictures just wanted to say you may need some gripping of some kind on the ramp. But I see where you added that after the pics were taken. Give it the rest of the week the birds should get used to the routine. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, I did say above "Here are some pictures that show the setup - BUT we added strips of wood across the ramp on the first day after the birds were introduced, so the ramp is NOT smooth like the picture shows.."

Oh - and I see you did notice that! Great! Please let me know if there is anything else I may try to get them in there on their own. It's getting cold, and what if it rains?!
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom