1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my chickens be safe with my dog and my cat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by happymom99, Apr 2, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Hello. I am going to be getting my first chickens soon and I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with chickens and a dog and a cat coexisting peacefully? My chickens are going to be in a an enclosed run and then I will let them out to free-range when I am out with them. I have a geriatric cat (who still manages to get a baby mouse here and there - I don't think he can catch the more savvy full-grown mice anymore) and a geriatric and overweight terrier mix dog. I know that terriers are typically "ratters" and can be aggressive but not my dog. She is a little sweetie. Recently my cat caught a mouse and brought it into the house alive through the cat door (with that I will say that this is my first cat and he's been with me 14 years and I love him but he is definitely my last cat). The cat dropped the mouse and my dog was right there looking right at it. She just turned around and went onto her dog bed and watched the antics of my husband and I doing all we could to catch the mouse and get it out of the house.

Do you think I will need to worry about my chickens' safety with these two? They have never seen a chicken in their lives and will probably be curious and confused by them, and maybe even scared. I feel like they are too old and probably too uninterested in hurting any chickens but I'd like to know what others who are more experienced with all of this think. I don't want to take any chances and endanger my chickens.

Thank you,
    CJ

2. amsunshine

amsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    Don't know about cats but dogs are still dogs. See my post from tonight. [​IMG]

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would say - Only if you supervise the dog at all times. I love my dog and he likes my chickens,but I NEVER leave him out there unattended with those birds. As for the cat, I have 5 cats and they tend to leave the chickens alone. Especially the turkey.

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    It depends on your dog. We have 3 dogs, and they completely ignore the chickens.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I wouldn't worry too much about the cat being around adult chickens. My 12 y/o outdoor cat likes to chase my little roo for fun but never touches him, the cat is afraid of my BO roo. I would NOT trust her around chicks. Just watch them until you are sure.

I would be really careful with the dog though. It might remember it is a terrier for a minute or two. [​IMG]

6. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    My dogs would clean out the chicken population in a heartbeat if they got the chance. The cat knows better than to mess with the big chickens. There are plenty of smaller things to kill around here.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would keep the dog/cat in while the chickens are free roaming,and then switch. The cat should be fine,but no way on the dog. A chicken looks way to much like a chew toy that squeeks.

8. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would be concerned about the terrier. I have had a Westie "pretend" to not be interested... then act. They are super smart and sneaky.

9. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    My cats and dog get along great with the chickens. If our chickens are ever out free roaming we make sure that the dog is out there with them. He is a black lab and barks at everything. [​IMG] Now that I have chickens I don't seem to mind his constant barking. If it helps keep my girls safe it is ok with me!

Here is my Fred trying to lay an egg?? LOL
    [​IMG]

The dog is in the back keeping an eye on everyone. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i've got a black lab that could care less about any size chicken, got a 1/2 cha wa wa/ chin-- a little yapper dog, that loves to watch the chickens, really checks out the smaller ones, and a cat that will kill the babies but only chases the big ones now n then, the rooster kinda put an end to the cats game awhile back, pretty funny... i let them free range all day, dogs out, cats out. i don't let the younger ones out until they're bigger....never had 1 problem until the other day they've been under attack from a hawk, lost 2 in a week...... still trying to find a solution, can't keep em locked in all day.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by