Will my chickens be safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poultrycrazy, May 18, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I have a coop made out of metal and nothing has gotten in there but a little rodent that sneaks in and doesnt bother the chickens. I have a little run and the sides are chicken wire, my question is is i have a little wooden window that opens up to the run and i wanted to leave it open so in the morning they can just hop out into the run but i am afraid something might try to get in the run and get the chickens. We are in michigan and around here i have seen racoons, possums, skunks, like 2 fox in 14 years, i have heard cyotes across the street in the wood but never have seen them and there are some stray cats. Will something get my chickens if i leave the window open to the coop?

thanks

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    If you use something stronger than chickenwire, and the run has a top, then you might be okay, but if it were me, I'd close the chickens in at night. Those night time predators are pretty wiley!

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Ok haha i locked them up and there is a metal top on it [​IMG] I actually have a 9 by 16 metal chicken coop hooked onto a 8 by 7 foot chicken coop with a second story so the run is surround on 2 sides with metal and wood and chicken wire on the other 2 sides

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by