Will my chickens cross the creek???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by O'Henry Farms, Apr 22, 2011.

1. O'Henry Farms

O'Henry Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Grassy Creek, NC
    We have always had chickens as a hobby but on May 14 we are picking up 100, 18 week old, Golden Comet pullets!!! We are adding egg production to the organic produce that our farm already grows and sells. I have cleaned out the entire top floor of an old barn for the girls and plan to let them free range inside a pasture fenced with woven wire. I plan to cut a door and make a ramp for them to go in and out but they would be separated from the vast majority of the pasture by a small stream that is about 2 feet wide. Will they cross? I could make a ramp from the barn to the other side of the branch but it would be very long and about 12 feet high at the barn... I could build a bridge for them to cross... Would they use it? Help?!?! [​IMG]

2. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    My chickens cross our creek all the time. Sometimes they use the bridge, and sometimes they just fly--depending on where they are when they decide they want to be on the other side!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by