Will my chickens destroy my vegetable garden?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigoledude, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    I am going to plant a vegetable garden starting now Jan. 26. I will be planting onions, shallots, and leeks now. Next I'm planting Swiss Chard followed by tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers and eggplants. There may be some additional stuff also planted.

Are the chickens gonna require me to fence-off my garden? They will have access to acres of area to forage in, without needing to invade my garden. Do they bother some vegetables worse than others?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Yes they will rip a planted garden apart. Just let them play in the garden after harvest.

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

The short answer is yes.

Not sure if they will go after onions, shallots, leeks, or peppers but they will certainly enjoy the other things if you let them have access. I know my birds love to ransack the yard.

4. marcumbackyardfarms

marcumbackyardfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Russellville
    They did ours last year, nothing grew at all. Everytime something started it was eaten quickly. We are going to try raised beds this year with some fencing around them.

5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I grow in the front yard and have the chickens in the back/sides. Once my chickens escaped. I had no tomatoes that year. Or peppers. Or rosellas. Or corn. Or beans.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Not if you fence either the garden or the chickens. I'd recommend the chickens.

7. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

without a doubt they will devour everything in your garden. we have our garden inside a big cage. but then again i mostly grow stuff just so the chickens can eat it! and since i've had chickens i look at weeds in a whole new light - treasures!

8. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

FENCE! [​IMG]

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] Most definitely.

10. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Chickens are miniature rototillers. Say goodbye to the garden if they get into it.
    On the other hand, your soil will be aerated and fertilized so you try again next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by