Will my Chickens Eat My Fig Trees?

bcorps

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
SW Indiana
I have a couple Fig Trees near my coop. I do plan on supervised free ranges. I know that while the fruits are basically candy for all, I just found out the leaves are toxic. Can I count on the chickens to not eat them? Supposedly they are irritating, so hopefully even if they were to nibble, they wouldn't like it and would stop?

If anyone has any experience with fig trees, please let me know what your experience has been. Figs are one of the few fruits I allow myself, so I'd hate to get rid of them. I've considered putting a hardware cloth ring around the figs, but they can get pretty big. My whole yard is going to be a collection of sub-fences at this rate. :p

I just found out the leaves are toxic. Can I count on the chickens to not eat them? Supposedly they are irritating, so hopefully even if they were to nibble, they wouldn't like it and would stop?

If anyone has any experience with fig trees, please let me know what your experience has been.
Hi there. :frow

The term toxic is highly fear mongered.. and could mean simply causes a headache, tummy upset, or even euphoria!

I don't have fig trees but do have practically everything toxic under the sun growing in my pasture. :barnie

Toxic and poisonous are also separate things. As long as the birds aren't locked into a pen with no other feed and only the fig tree to feed on then they SHOULD be fine!

For the most part I have seen my birds sample some of the toxic things and they tend to keep moving and not focus in. And yes they do check everything with their mouth, tearing off little pieces.. which they don't always swallow even if they do taste it.

So basically.. I would say enjoy your fig trees and try not too worry too much. Butterfly bush is also allegedly toxic.. my birds love to hang out underneath and eat the bugs that come around. They still like the cover provided. ONE plant I absolutely won't allow animals near ever.. is oleander.

Consider adding your general location to your profile as it may help folks make there best suggestions possible at a glance. :)

There will be 10-12 birds. Orpingtons, Australorps, and Wyandottes.
Depends on the forage type, weather, and many other things..

I live in the PNW.. with 72+ birds and 2 large goats.. I STILL have to mow!

When I lived in the irrigated desert.. on a city lot with 3 chickens and a swimming pool.. I still had to mow..

Lock them in a small space.. the ground will turn to dirt.. even if the don't eat it.. just from trampling! When the great herds migrate.. it is partly foot traffic that depletes the forage.

With all those being dual purpose birds.. consider never using or switching to "layer" feed.. but rather using a grower, all flock, flock raiser.. with oyster shell free choice on the side.. the 16% protein (amino acids) in layer is considered the minimum to keep a light bodied layer like leghorn in good condition. Since learning the difference and making the switch (to 20% protein).. My birds are in far batter condition.. having softer molts and returning to lay sooner because they already have some extra nutrients stored on board to help.. seriously.. the difference is tremendous! It also send more nutrition to your eating eggs! No change when I have chicks, broody's, etc.
Feeding Small Flocks

Hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Depends on the forage type, weather, and many other things..

I live in the PNW.. with 72+ birds and 2 large goats.. I STILL have to mow!

When I lived in the irrigated desert.. on a city lot with 3 chickens and a swimming pool.. I still had to mow..

Lock them in a small space.. the ground will turn to dirt.. even if the don't eat it.. just from trampling! When the great herds migrate.. it is partly foot traffic that depletes the forage.

With all those being dual purpose birds.. consider never using or switching to "layer" feed.. but rather using a grower, all flock, flock raiser.. with oyster shell free choice on the side.. the 16% protein (amino acids) in layer is considered the minimum to keep a light bodied layer like leghorn in good condition. Since learning the difference and making the switch (to 20% protein).. My birds are in far batter condition.. having softer molts and returning to lay sooner because they already have some extra nutrients stored on board to help.. seriously.. the difference is tremendous! It also send more nutrition to your eating eggs! No change when I have chicks, broody's, etc.
Feeding Small Flocks

Hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow
So "layer" feed is less than 16% protein? Thanks for that bit. Regular plus oyster on the side sounds like a great idea. I'm pretty sure my birds are going to be spoiled. I'm going to do supervised free ranging when I can, so they should get lots of good forage food as well.

Back
Top Bottom