1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my Chickens Ever Quiet Down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeetLover, Dec 14, 2015.

1. BeetLover

BeetLover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    I have three chickens, a black sexlink, buff orpington, and a speckled sussex. The sussex and sexlink have started laying eggs two weeks ago. My problem is that they are so LOUD in the morning. Will they quiet down when they get used to laying eggs or are there other tricks to get them to be quieter?

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    BSL hens are noisy! If mine sees me, the world knows it. However, she is quieter as she has gotten a bit older. My Buffs are pretty docile and quite. I don't know much about Speckled Sussex, but if they are a "talkative" breed, they will probably always be a bit noisy.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They might....or they might not.
    Doesn't really have much to do with breed.
    Chickens make noise, female as well as males, sometimes a lot of loud noise.
    In my experience, it can come and go....I've had some real yakkers,
    who then quiet back down after a few days or weeks for no discernible(to me) reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by