Will my chickens get along with my turkeys?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tdmason, May 27, 2010.

1. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    I have a very large pen with only three hens in it. They are just my egglayers. I purchased two white turkeys about a months ago and put them in the pen with the hens when they got big enough where they wouldn't go through the wire. It was about a day of a little pecking order but they all get along fine now. My question is, all my hens are full grown but my turkeys are only about 8 weeks old, when they get full grown will they still get along since they are together now? The coop is a 20x20 that they are all in.

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Too late now, but turkeys are very vulnerable to a disease chickens carry but aren't hurt by called black head. I've known people to raise them together successfully and I've known people who've lost every turkey.

Ironically turkeys carry something that makes chickens more resistant to Mareks disaease so runnign chickens through a turkey coop is great for the chickens but really bad for the trukeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by