Will my chickens go back into their new coop if I let them out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by triciakoontz, May 8, 2011.

1. triciakoontz

triciakoontz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Hillsborough, NC
    Hi,

I just moved my 5 chickens (4 months old - I raised them from day old chicks) into their new coop, which is in a totally different area of my property from where they have been all their life. They had been living in a temporary shelter in my fenced vegetable garden where they free ranged during the day and then went into the shelter at night. The coop/large pen that I just finished is on the edge of our meadow and a fair distance from the fenced garden where they were. They have been in the new coop/pen for 3 days. I am not sure how to start allowing them to free range. I had thought to first let them out just an hour before dusk, then feed them inside the pen to get them back in but not sure about that. I just don't know if they will start coming back to the coop/pen as it gets darker. I searched to try and find this answer but didn't find a thread with this exact situation.

Thanks for any/all advice!!
    Trish in Hillsborough, NC

2. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i would give them a week to understand that your new coop is their home now. Then i would gradually start letting them free range and start later in the day and then walk them back to the coop, probably do that for a week and then they should get the hint that they have a new home

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I would wait 1-2 weeks before I let them free range. Just to be sure. [​IMG]

~Aspen

4. triciakoontz

Apr 8, 2011
    Hillsborough, NC
    Thanks for the advice! It is soooo tempting to let them out as they are not used to being confined. I'll just have to be content with picking them greens, digging up some grubs for them, etc. They are so curious and I hate for them to be bored. I'm feeling sorry for them so obviously they have me trained - LOL!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I left mine in for a week or so, then opened the door anticipating them enjoying their freedom. Darn things wouldn't go out the door! They finally crossed the threshold and promptly plopped down in the sunshine. They gradually wandered farther, but go back to the coop frequently t/out the day. They've been out I think three weeks and still really don't go far.

6. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    You will have to help them the first few times after you finally do let them out. My littlest ones (3 months old? No..lol, 1.5 months old, I forget because of how independent theve been!) Anyways, they were allll over the place going nuts w/ new things. They would in and out of the older ladies, then started following their lead. They aren't old enough to go in w/ the older ladies so I herded them into my house everynight to go into their box. Now as my older ladies head into their cool, my little ones head into my house.

7. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I am sooo sorry for all the grammar/spelling issues, my BB is ancient and not working, I'm not even trying to fix them.

8. triciakoontz

Apr 8, 2011
    Hillsborough, NC
    Quote:Oh, I hope that is how it works with my girls! I've already decided that I'll have their favorite fresh corn ready to lure them back in the first few days. I've been feeding them very special plates of goodies right before dusk so they get in the habit of expecting that before I ever let them out. I'm so happy to get all the different advice!

9. triciakoontz

Apr 8, 2011
    Hillsborough, NC
    Quote:Don't worry - I'm not the GP (Grammar Police)!!! LOL!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by