Will my chickens tear up my strawberry patch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ima57boomer, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Now that I've picked all the strawberries I want for my own use, is it safe to turn my 10 girls loose in the patch? I don't want them to eat the plants themselves, but they are welcome to any berries that are left, and the bugs that are hiding down in the bottom. I put up a temporary chicken wire barrier that is rather unattractive, landscape-wise, so I'd like to take it down, if it's safe to do so. Thanks.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't know about the chickens but when we had muscovy ducks they didn't do a lot of damage to the plants buut they went crazy for the over ripe berries! i can't imagine chickens being much harder on them than a 15# duck would be....

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They will destroy it.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    You will receive absolutely zero strawberries.

ETA - Use deer netting over the top and they will stay off. I hold my netting up off the berry plants a couple of inches with 1/2 pvc pipe frame. Cheap and took about 15 - 20 minutes to build.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    That's great news for me. I need to get ride of my strawberry patch and I was going to spray them, but if the chickens will do the job, awesome!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think it depends on whether they normally free range or not. If they're use to getting tons of greens, I think your plants will do fine. But if this is the only patch of green they've seen in a while, your plants will probably be history. I have grapes (unprotected) that mine don't bother (they DO take any grapes or grape buds they can reach) because they get tons of green stuff free ranging. I let mine into the garden too once my plants have become established and they are fine (the plants).

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

OOPS - double post [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:they will destroy the plants

9. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    you will have nothing left in no time flat

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I thought I was growing the strawberries for the chickens - or maybe the chickens just thought the berries were for them - but they got them ALL!!!!
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by