Will my chicks be ok tonight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhens, May 11, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I have 10 Delaware & 6 Barred Rock cockerels, and 2 OEGB chicks in a converted dog kennel. They are about 6-8 weeks old, and have been outside without a heat lamp for the past 2 days. It has been in the 70's and upper 50's at night. Tonight it is supposed to get down to 47*F. Will they be ok without a heat lamp tonight? There is no electricity near the dog kennel coop, so a heat lamp isn't an option. I can move them back to their previous brooder but would rather not if it isn't necessary. They all look to be fully feathered. What do you think?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    according to traditional wisdom, 6-8 week-olds can handle temps in the 55-65 degree range. I think 47 is a bit cold for them, but it's close. I would worry about the younger ones. It will be interesting to hear other opinions.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

They will be 100% fine. Absolutely no need to worry about them. Really. My 4-5 weekers are staying out tonight and it's going to be 39 or so.

4. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Won't they all just huddle to keep each other warm? And if it's not drafty, they won't lose body heat as quickly.

When our small coop gets cold or drafty we put a tarp over it to keep out drafts and keep heat loss to a minimum.

Hope that helps!

5. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Quote:Without a heat lamp? Wow. I guess I shouldn't be worried at all then!

6. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    They came through the night with no problems. I did put a silkie rooster in there, so he could huddle with them and help them stay warm. He is such a sweetie, he hasn't picked on them at all.

7. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Without a heat lamp? Wow. I guess I shouldn't be worried at all then!

Yep, I'm a mean chickie mommy [​IMG] Glad yours pulled through, now you don't have to worry quite so much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by