1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my chicks fly over the fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PeepsAreForMe, May 7, 2012.

1. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I'm a worry wart mom! Here's my coop in the fenced in area. The coop and the fence are both 4' high. Will my chickens go up on the roof and jump out of the fenced in area?? The fenced in area is 16' x 16' and after my DH puts the gate on, he will build an extended protected run off the right side. I also wanted to raise it up atleast 6" but DH said that will make it even easier for them to fly over the fence. I plan on clipping their wings. Any suggestions??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    My 1 year olds jump over my 6 foot fence, but I don't think that a chick can. Also, what is a DH?

3. farm girl

farm girl Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    In the USA
    no, well not when they are chicks. But when older or an adults they will. Some advice is get bigger fence or put chicken wire over it. but all so a animal could get it or even a hawk could swoop down and get it. ( good that you put wire at the bottom but needs more. ( i am an export )[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. PeepsAreForMe

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I don't plan on letting them free range unless we are in the yard. We do have a hawk and an owl that lives in our neighborhood. Don't think I have to worry about the owl though. And DH is dear or devoted husband. Not **** husband!! LOL The chicken wire is to keep them from sneaking in between the slats. But if they will jump on the roof and then over the fence that was useless!! They are only 5 weeks now and not yet fully feathered, so they will be inside for a few more weeks.

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have seven week olds right now that could fly over that fence without needing to use the roof. They easily fly up to the roosting bar which is four feet off the ground.

6. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    That will not hold them back. It also won't deter your resident hawk one bit.

7. PeepsAreForMe

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Ok I guess DH and I will have to rethink this. Maybe we'll put chicken wire over top somehow. Thanks everyone!

8. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    I think from what I'm reading lately that chicken wire won't really work to keep them safe- that it's better to use hardware cloth, but maybe someone else can chime in on this?

9. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Dear Husband, or whatever else you want that D to stand for....................

10. Paco

Paco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Enid,Ok
    I agree , chicks mostly likely cant and won't get out, but adults will have no problem clearing it with motivation. I've had chickens fly over my 7' fence before, but you could clip the wings to prevent much flight, this makes it harder form them to get away from predators though. Just something to think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by