Will my chicks get too cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snapkrackelpop19, Aug 19, 2010.

1. snapkrackelpop19

snapkrackelpop19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Seattle
    I've got three chicks about 4 weeks old they've got pretty good feathering on their wings and some starting to come in around their body. I've just moved them to a pen outside. I'm terrified to put a heat lamp in because I've had one catch fire before. Will they be okay without? It doesn't get below 50 at night and the coop is pretty well insulated and they have a nice layer of wood shavings. They've been doing just fine in my house at room temperature for a few days which is between 65 and 70. Thanks!

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    As long as they can huddle together and are draft free/dry I think you should be fine. I put my babies in the coop at that age this year and had the same concern. I posted the topic on BYC and I was assured that everything would be fine. I did close the window at night when the temp went below 60F for the first week or so. I had no problems.

I believe one BYCer reminded me that they are not like domestic pets. They are well suited to live as livestock [​IMG] It's just so hard not to worry about them especially when they are young and super cute [​IMG]

3. snapkrackelpop19

snapkrackelpop19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Thanks! I needed that reassurance [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Another idea is to fill a gallon milk jug with some hot water and put it in with them, maybe with a towel around it if it might scald them. My four week old chicks are really dependent on their heat in the 50 degree nights right now.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh but I forgot to mention that my coops aren't insulated!!! Makes a big difference!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by