Will my chicks go blind if I never turn off the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityFolk, Apr 6, 2009.

1. CityFolk

CityFolk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    They were sold out of the red head lamps at the TSC and only had the clear ones. If I need that on all the time so they don't get cold is it going to mess up their eyes and make it hard for them to go nigh nigh?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    It won't keep them from sleeping, in fact many people use them. They just seem to be a little more active under white, and sometimes "picky" with each other.

3. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    I don't think they'll go blind--Zeal and Meep have gone two weeks with a clear lightbulb on top of them and they are still NOT sightless! If you think of it this way: the light bulb's on their head and they don't look up at it much. It's like the sun!
    My two black sexlinks seem to take tiny quick naps and as soon as they hear me they're off to peeping, pooping, and eating. I don't see a problem with sleeping, really. And if you think so, you could always turn off the lamp for maybe thirty minutes or so during the night so they can get a quick snooze. But they probably will anyway. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell those unless they were safe for chicks.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Reason fot using red brooder light, is to keep the chicks from pecking on each other, if they were pheasants chicks they would kill each other.

5. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

they wont go blind....but you might when you see the bill, lololol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by