Will my chicks hurt each other?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MerazT, May 26, 2019.

1. MerazT

MerazT Chirping

May 18, 2019
    I currently have 19 chicks that I hatched (EE, WYANDOTTE'S, BARRED ROCK) , the ultimate goal is to have 9 in which will be re homed. They are 5 and 6 weeks old. I've recently moved them all to their new coop I built. Raising chicks is new for me. I have a few cockerels at this time that appear to be fighting? They flare their neck feathers, jump and peck each other! Is this normal behavior? It kinda scares me , and makes me want to separate them.. will they hurt each other? What should I, or shouldn't be doing? Please advise.:oops:

2. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    Baby cockerels will be fine if they fight. It is best if they get it out of their system now when they are young and don't have spurs. I have raised chicks like this and have never had any issues. They are only trying to figure out the pecking order among themselves :) I would not separate them unless you find they are bleeding. Otherwise this is normal behavior.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If they have space and good food, and no actual injuries, it's all fine. Pullets will also spar, and it's all normal. Pecking order being decided as you watch!
    Mary

4. MerazT

MerazT Chirping

May 18, 2019
    Thank you so much this is all so new to me & my chickie mama instincts came in. They are growing so fast & although it's fun to watch them grow this is a new phase, lol!

5. MerazT

MerazT Chirping

May 18, 2019
    Good information, they have alot more room from transitioning from brooder to coop, this puts me at ease! Thank you!

6. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

SimplyLivinthatFarmLife Crowing

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    @Chelsa'sChicks ..I too was like you when I initially started with chicks. What they said. It's all about the pecking order. They will be fine. I had two that way and it was better when they were younger, they grew up to be friends.

7. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    @SimplyLivinthatFarmLife I agree. I actually enjoyed the laughs watching my boys "fight" when they were small.. very comical :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: