Will my chicks miss me when I put them in their coop?

Rachel'sFlock

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Otis, Oregon ~ Chicken People Since 5/10
I know...this is probably the pansy-@ss Question of the Day, but, I can't help but wonder.
The chicks have lived in a clear glass brooder, in the parlour of our home since they came home from the feed store. We have been, visually and auditorily, part of one another's world for these past 4 weeks.
Now it is nearly warm enough for them to go outside into their own home, I am concerned they will miss me, (or worse!) forget all about me, if they don't see me all the time, like they do, now.
Any thoughts, veteran chicken people?
Thanks, in advance, as always!

I'm thinking same, too!
My chicks are 4.5weeks and coop is coming this weekend.
If warm enough then they are moving to the coop.
I'm very sad that they won't be in the house with me anymore.
Everyday when I have time, I'm front of brooder and talking and petting them.
Soon, can't do that...

I'm really want to know what's going to happen next!

Glad I'm not the only one, ToiToi!
I already have visions of my curling up in the pine shavings with them at night time...
How can they not miss the music, lights and activity they have experienced since they arrived? Seems so...well, dreary, out in the Chickenarium. maybe we need a mural! And a radio!
Blessings
Rachel

They will be fine. You will be fine. They will remember you and they will be so happy to be outside in the sunshine and dirt and bugs. Thats the things that chickens like. Humans like the lights and music and stuff, not the chickens. You're going to have so much fun watching them outside, and you won't miss the dust inside at all. You'll see, outside is much better for both of you.

I love to watch mine in my backyard. They are so entertaining and very relaxing. When they want some love, they come get up on my lap, legs and my foot stool. They definately know me and they like other people, too. They would never dream that anyone would hurt them! I can pick them up and carry them around the yard and they seem to like it. They don't struggle at all and they make 'happy chicken peeping noises' just like when i pet them. You'll see, outside with the chickens is great...
55921_comfy.jpg

Oh, noodleroo, I would love to have them outside, loose, like that, but we live in unfenced varmit country, so we are going to have to enjoy in-coop bonding time. I am going to spend a lot of time in that coop, I know.
They will have their own outdoor run, that is varmit-proof, but too short for me to get in it.
How adorable your chooks are! Thanks for the pictures!
How old are the babies on you, in that pic? I am trying to get a fix on the aprox age of mine, and have decided they are roughly 5 weeks old, this weekend. Just always like to know how old babies are in the pics, so I can fix the age of mine.
Thanks again for your input!
Blessings

That pic was last week; they were 3 wks. old. I have a chicken tractor that will be home for 4 lucky ladies. The rest will go to live with the 'big girls', 9 black sex links at our property about 3 miles away. Out there, they free range during the day and their coop has an automatic door. We live in a neighborhood but its not in the 'city'. The back yard is fenced and predators will mostly be cats and an occasional hawk. Much less of a threat when they are fully grown. If you have some really tame ones, you may be able to let them out with supervision. Our collie, Patsy, is a good guardian for mine...
55921_009.jpg

That's great pics, noodleroo
smile.png

My yard is not fenced in, I wish...

I know they will be fine and I love to see them outside playing.
I'm the one not fine and miss them so bad...

I will be broody with you, ToiToi!
We can comiserate on our...wait for it...empty nests.
Be strong, fellow chook-Mum! We are strong and powerful farmers, and we will do what's best for our flock, come what may.
Stay the course, and I will meet you back here for cocktails around dusk, Sunday night...
Blessings
Rachel

Back
Top Bottom