Will my chicks run away?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Will my chicks run away from me if I take them in the backyard for some free range bugs??? I'll bring my australian shepherd out there just in case another dog enters our yard. I was planning on supervising them also.

My chicks are all different ages 14-8 weeks old. They haven't been out of their run or coop yet. We have 4 acres of land with LOTS of bugs! I'd hate to lose my babies!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They will REALLY enjoy being outside in the sun eating bugs!

Although they may run from you (as chicks do), they are not impossible to catch (especially if you set out their favorite treat).

Keep an eye on them for any predators that may be lurking.

Have fun!

[​IMG]

3. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I let my chicks and guineas free range when they are about 2 weeks old, then when its time to put them up i just herd them into a little pin, or back into their cage in the garage, Some of them panick and run everywhere others no exactly what to do. And the ones who panick still follow behind. I do this with my ducks also.

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I did it! They were being chicken and stayed along the perimeter of the house in the rocks. They were super happy though! Hubby is going to make a door on the run, so I can let them out once in a while. My backyard is full of bugs, especially grasshoppers and huge dragonflies. [​IMG]. It was a little difficult getting them back in, since the only entrance is through the garage.

5. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    When mine were really young, I made a little 5'x5' playpen out of pvc piping.

It was their outdoor playpen.

[​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I like the playpen! I'll run the idea across hubby and see if he will make me one. [​IMG]

7. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Me too, great idea![​IMG][​IMG]

8. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:Wow that is awesome, and looks bigger / easier than my dog exercise pen I've been using. Going to show to my hubby as well [​IMG]

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    we made a circle of wire and put a top on it when babies first go on the grass and we put the little pen in the shade. they really enjoy it and the rest of the flock gets to "meet and great" them. My goodness, it has been years since we have had a grasshopper in the yard, thank you chickens!

10. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by