Will My Cochin Hen Raise My New Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GracieNut, Jul 9, 2011.

1. GracieNut

GracieNut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    I bought 2 Polish chicks today at a swap, they can't be any older than a couple of days. I want to integrate them into my flock of Cochins (which are kept penned for most of the day), I would like to give them to one of my broody hens, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. Can it be done? Will they get hurt or worse by the grown chickens? My hens have not raised any chicks before, but there are a couple of them that LOOOOVVVVEEE to sit, and have to be pushed (screaming, pecking, and even giving dirty looks) off of their eggs for collection. Can I just put the chicks into the nest box with them and have them think "Oh, they hatched!"???

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If you put the chicks under a broodie hen then you dont want her to be sitting on any eggs after that. So you would have to take her eggs away from her. And there is a chance she may not accept them and could even kill them.. How old are the eggs she is sitting on? Ideally if they were at day 20 it would be perfect. Hers hatch and then all of a sudden there is a few more in there, no problem.

The best way to do it, I am no expert though, is to wait till she is sleepign and then sneek them under there. But you also need to watch her for a long time to see if she interacts with the chicks and how. That is the only way you will know if she accepts them. This could be a many hour projsct.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by