Will my day olds eat starter crumbles?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, Feb 10, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Will they eat starter crumbles or do I have to get mash? They are sooo tiny Im not sure they can eat the crumbles!

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Mine have always just have done Purina Starter Feed Crumble. (You know the one in the red bag). They seem to do fine. Their is a lot of real fine powder even in the crumble. I have never fed mine mash. As long as they are eating it should be fine.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes they can eat the crumbles. I have had some that for a very few days that they pick out the smaller stuff and leave the bigger chunks. Not always but sometimes. When that happens, I put the crumbles in a blender and break them down to smaller size. Usually within a couple of days, they will eat the larger chunks. Somne people use a hammer and cloth.

I can't explain why chickens do what they do. Many people have trouble getting their chickens to eat the Layer pellets when they switch over to Layer from Grower crumbles. I mixed mine, expecting a problem and trying to transition them in. Mine picked out the pellets and left the Grower crumbles behind. You try to do what is logical and they confuse you every time.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes of course they do, hence the name CHICK STARTER CRUMBLES. They will be fine and love the food.

AL

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They will eat the crumbles. Definitely.

And they love scrambled eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by