Will my duck learn to be a duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKOBSESSED, Aug 16, 2014.

1. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I hatched out one duck out of four eggs. She was raised with Guinea hens and a turken roo. When she is big enough I will move her with m duck flock. I want to know if she will learn how to be a duck. She has met the ducks and does know how to swim. She wants nothing to do with the ducks, but they like her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    If you put her with her own breed I would think should would start acting like a duck.

3. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    My khaki Campbell bonkers grew up with chickens - she has had ample opportunity to start becoming a duck but continues to hang with her chicken buddies!
    She slept with the ducks for about 4 nights, didn't enyoy my drakes advances so went back to being a chuck...
    She even lays where the chickens do - about 3 foot off the ground on a raised platform in the chicken coop!

So good luck! To be fair though you just don't know with these things; it could go either way

4. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you. This is the first time i raised a duckling with other birds.

5. Elaine Hope

Elaine Hope Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    the short answer is: No. she will think she is a chicken if she is raised with chickens, a turkey, if raised with turkeys, and so on. she will eventually learn to be a duck but you have to keep her with the ducks for a few weeks.

6. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Well my bonkers seems to know that she's a duck - she just prefers the company of chickens!

In fact the 3 chucks she was raised with are bloody good at making ducky peeping noises and even tend to fight like ducks!! But all 4 of these misfits hang round with my 2 older chickens (bonkers has won them round - they even let her preen them!) who were very anti duck before bonkers came on the scene :)

I could force her back in with the ducks but I know she is happy where she is. I don't have the heart to break them up..

7. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    That's what I was wondering. She will live with the ducks when she is big enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by