will my duck mate my hens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sydney13, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    right now i have a little muscovy duckling who i do not know the sex of. im planning on keeping it with my chickens and goose and it will be raised with them so they should get along fine. im really hoping that its a hen because i know if its a drake it might mate and kill my chickens. i dont think it could hurt my goose because she will be much bigger, but do you think it would stick to just mating the goose or try to mate the chickens to? and if it was a drake and i got a female duck for it would it only mate the other duck or would it mate the duck and the chickens?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yes... people have said that they do.. And the bigger scovys have even killed hens...

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Not all do, but they may. For now just lean back and let it get bigger and see what it turns into. No point in getting all round up at this point.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Drakes tend to want to mate everything that moves and a few things that don't. That being said, our pekins don't go after the chickens, only the other ducks, but they were raised only with their group of ducklings and were later introduced to the chicken area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by