Will My Ducks Get Friendlier?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by campyconnors, Nov 11, 2014.

1. campyconnors

campyconnors Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    Hi,

I have two Swedish Ducks. One male, one female. I assumed my ducks to be very friendly due to the reading I did on them. However, my ducks have honestly not been very nice at all. They tend to stray from the group (of four other chickens), don't run up to me when I come to feed them in the morning, and hide when I go to try to pet them or hold them. They are about 7-8 months old now and I'm just wondering if they may get friendlier. Thanks!

2. pnewman

pnewman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi

I have 4 of them they are stand offish and my least favorite of all my birds. I have 12 blue runners 16 mallards and 19 Guineas.
    They are all better birds than the black and whites. I read the same thing I don't get it.

Paul

3. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have Swedish ducks. You just have to work with them. Sit down and put the food around you. They are very food motivated and will eventually come to eat. Stay still and talk to them in a calm voice. Once they start to eat the food near you, the next step is to put the food in your hand and leave your hands on the ground. Do this as much as possible and they will warm up. My ducks eat from my hands and are always under my feet. It takes a lot of time but is worth it. They are sweet birds. Hope this helps. Good luck!

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    How long have you had them? Ducks take quite a bit of effort to make friendly. It take a lot of time and patience. Sitting with food around it the best step and just talking to them all the time. It is very common for them to not like to be picked up but you can handle them enough that they will deal with it. Once I catch mine they pretty much give up but I do have to get them into a corner and physically catch them. I also am not to the point where I can pet them either. They will eat out of my hand and out of my kids hands. They do come running when I call them or if one of my kids rings the cow bell. We trained them to come with food. So they equate my voice or the bell with treats.

5. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Its natural for ducks to be wary, as prey animals their instincts tell them that being 'caught' means death. These instincts are good things that keep your flock safe. They will, in time, learn that you are more than just a food dispenser. Ducks kind of live in their own world, and once you've had them for awhile you see how much they appreciate all your little efforts, cleaning their coop or run, giving them clean pond or drinking water, bringing brekkie, dinner or just treats. All of mine love me and follow me around, get under my feet. I only have one that actually likes to be stroked and cuddled and this is very rare for a duck to truly enjoy this. For the others Im content to have them near me, brushing up against me, and some will come over and 'dabble' at my hand with their beak. I respect that they dont like to be touched unless I absolutely have to, and when I do I put them in the shed and catch them quick so they dont stress too much, then let them go as quickly as I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by