will my ducks lay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by creaturelife, Jan 9, 2014.

1. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have Muscovy,mallard,runners,and soon will be geting some white crested duck eggs in a day or so i was wanting to know what time of the year in Kentucky should they start laying eggs all of the duck of my ducks are of age to lay eggs rasied all of them but what i need to know when will they lay those eggs i seen them breeding but have no sign of eggs yet

been on egg watch for about 2 weeks when i saw them breeding

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well this last year and so far this year with all the crazy weather we have been having, I got eggs early last Jan 2013 and found my first duck egg of this year yesterday. which is very unusual for Muscovy's it's always been mid march thur April for eggs, other breeds can even lay through out winter months so if over 6 months of age and mating has begun start looking for eggs, I saw first mating about 2 weeks ago. So begin the hunt you maybe will find one. Just be careful I broke the one from yesterday stirring up the bedding not expecting to find an egg so early. AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    i got some of my duckling from my friend that is crazy bout duck she said she has found egg this time of the year from some of girl i have saw them all breeding or try until the geese come over and stop it lol geese on guard duty thx for helping me

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    my geese are same way, I call them the Goose Patrol

5. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    they crack me up when they get my males breeding or fighting they come running as fast as they can

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine too they will get right in their faces when mating starts up and 2 of my drakes run for their lives they are afraid of the geese, and when fighting starts oh my gosh the screaming those geese do. They all love a good fight though. [​IMG]

7. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    lol so true the geese do like a good fight when the ducks go at it

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep. actually the ducks like it too, when a fight breaks out everyone comes a running they just don't want to get to close in case they get pulled into it. [​IMG]

9. ButtaCup

ButtaCup Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    We have Muscovy, Runner, Cayuga & East Indies. All of our older Muscovy (over 2-years-old) are laying, but the younger have not started yet. Our white Muscovy started laying on Christmas and has started about the same time for the last 3 years. The other breeds tend to start laying later in the year.

10. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    i m still on egg watch havent seen any breeding the past day or so but it is sup post to be geting cold i will have to keep them locked up in there own coop they wont like that at all i will keep staying on egg watch i m still waiting on the crested white duck eggs to come sup post to be here tursday or friday he had a back up in orders i ll let you guys know when i find a egg or eggs how many duck eggs you guys geting a day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by