Will my ducks run away to the stream down the road?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beanmcnulty, Feb 13, 2012.

1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Hi! Newbie duck question: I am getting my first ducks next month, and we have a large stream that meanders around the road we live on. Will they find it and look at it with love in their eyes, and take off? Or will food prevail? Obviously food prevails with the chickens and turkeys, and no one has left yet!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If they can see and hear the stream they will probably get curious enough to go check it out. Give them plenty of kiddie pools depending on how many ducks your getting. Plus you might not want them crossing the road to get to the stream so you might want to consider some way of keeping them in their yard. Congrats on your new ducks ahead of time.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Our road is not heavily traveled, and the straightest shot to the stream is over an easement driveway so that is even less traveled so I wouldnt be so worried about the road per se. How many kiddie pools for 12 ducks? The boys will be processed at about 12 weeks so then there would be about 7 after that.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    12 ducks maybe 2 or 3 just to keep everyone happy, then after process day cut it back to 2 that way you have extra in case one gets a hole, but they last forever as long as you don't let the water freeze in them then they may crack. Then the only problem I see is then is your ducks getting in the stream and letting it carry them down stream and maybe not coming home. But for the first 6 weeks they will most likely stay pretty close to home anyway.

We have a mt. river down below our home about 300 ft. thank goodness there is woods between us and it because they would be down there in a minute otherwise, our oldest drake came from the river but never goes down there because all the girls are here [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    [​IMG]

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

They probably would let the stream carry them off... during flooding, i have had my own ducks follow flood waters (creeks) until they were spit out, sometimes a great distance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by