Will my eggs be ok? ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoCalChick, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    My electricity went out during the night - when I woke up my bator was off -[​IMG] rushed it to a friends house and restarted. I figure electric was off for about 6 hours - the bator was in a warm place and temp got no lower than 79 degrees? Do you think the eggs are gonna be ok? They are due to hatch Jan 28th? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yes, I think they should be okay. I moved eggs that were 3 days from hatching -- about an hour and a half -- and they were fine.

3. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I would think they would be fine. I doubt conditions under a hen are always tip-top perfect. One day, it got really hot inside the house and my bator spiked to 108 and then humidity to 84, they were like that for probably around 6 hours, and it was like 5 days until hatch. All chicks hatched and were fine. So I doubt that lower temperature could do much more damage, your hatch may be a day or two late though. But then again maybe not. Good luck though! [​IMG]

4. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I am pretty sure that you are fine. Usually it is worth if the temperature goes up too high........

Good luck, and by the way, what kind of eggs are you incubating?

5. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    We had an 8 hour power outtage once. The only eggs that didn't make it were the peafowl eggs. Go figure. [​IMG]
    The chicken eggs did just fine.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    I bet they'll be fine. I had my broody get off her nest for a few hours a couple times near the end of incubation and they were fine. I think it's probably worse in the first week or so than at the end anyway. You only have a week left so they're most of the way formed. Good luck! You're a good chickie mom [​IMG]

7. SoCalChick

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Thank you all! I'm alittle relieved!I was so worried and teary eyed! I'll be posting pictures when they hatch!

8. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:I'll look forward to it. I love seeing hatchling chicks from BYCers [​IMG]

9. SoCalChick

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Ok my eggs are in lockdown. Fingers crossed and a little prayer! [​IMG]

10. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Oh I know how you must feel, my last hatch I had several power outages, yet I had a good hatch rate!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by