Will my eggs freeze while my ducks is starting to get her clutch ready

wazzy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
Constantine mi
My 2 year old Muscovy seems very intent on hatching her babies. We have been having 20 degree days and Negative night. Will the eggs freeze while she waiting to lay the next one? Please help

My 2 year old Muscovy seems very intent on hatching her babies. We have been having 20 degree days and Negative night. Will the eggs freeze while she waiting to lay the next one? Please help
I'm sure it can happen give her plenty of shaving I think as far as bedding goes she would be able to keep the eggs warmer in shaving than straw or hay, she could bury them better for safe keeping.
And
welcome-byc.gif

They can freeze. Is your coop insulated? How cold does it get in there? If you don't have a thermometer out there, does their water freeze in the coop?

I agree with Miss Lydia, offer extra bedding materials.

How many eggs has she laid so far?

You can try collecting the eggs and then putting them back under her. I think this would be easiest if you had either fake eggs or unused/old eggs that you could put on the nest otherwise she'll just keep laying, since she wouldn't have enough.

You are MUCH colder than I am here so make sure you have a plan for the ducklings, just in case. If your coop isn't insulated, you will probably need to provide heat depending on your temps in Feb.

Depending on how many she goes broody on, I would probably take away some of the eggs. My first broody hen hatched 13 on Dec 5. She had set on 22 eggs which was just too many for her to keep warm. My current broody is on 15 eggs (I finally got the other girls to stop laying in her nest) and she is covering them well.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Well I agree with the two above what kind of bedding do you use?They could freeze depending on if your coop is instalated. Where is she sleeping at night ? Also what is your location if have any questions feel free to message .

My coop is insulated. I dont keep water it it because the ducks just spill it all over and get the hay soaking wet. I have a heat light that kicks on for 2 hours from 6-7 pm and then back on at 4-5 am. I am doing a deep bed method this year. But i didnt have ducks last winter so it seems that my coop has a lot of extra moisture in it and there is frost on the windows and both the next box and coop door.

I have hay in my coop this year but will be switching to sand as soon as the snow melts due to the ducks. I didn't have ducks last winter. My coop is insulated and i have a heat light that warms it up for a hour in the evening and early morn for a hour each time. My windows and coop and nesting box doors are also frosty no matter how many times i empty the straw and start over. So far the duck has laid 4 eggs. I took them all out this morning because it was-13 last night with the wind.

Back
Top Bottom