Will my eggs taste bad?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BearSwampChick, May 17, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I just bought eggs from a guy that I haven't bought from before and when I went to pick them up, I stepped inside and the cigarette smoke was so thick I almost choked. When I got them home, the cartons smell like smoke and the eggs do, too. Is this going to affect the taste? Should I leave them out for a day or so to air out? It's really bad.

Susan

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Eewwwwwwwwww.... don't know if the eggs will taste bad or not, but at least you know not to go THERE again!

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Aren't the shells porous....that would mean they would absorb the odor and possibly affect the taste of the eggs......YUCK!!!

4. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I would definitely soak them in salt water for a bit and then see if they are edible.
    It doesn't sound good though...YUCK!

5. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    ew indeed, even in my younger years I wouldn't let any throw cigarette butts in my yard.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I bet they'll taste like smoke. My late friend once bought flour at a Kwik Mart since our grocery store didn't use to be open on Sundays because her girls wanted to make chocolate chip cookies. This was back before no smoking in stores. She noticed the flour smelled like smoke from being on the shelf, and after they made the cookies the cookies tasted like cigarette smoke!! Yuk!!

7. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I bought a little pint of milk at a little corner store/gas station place once. When I drank it, it was obvious that the employees used the refrigerator to smoke in. It tasted just like an ashtray. YUK!

8. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    LOL, yeah, I won't be going there again! Actually, they were okay, I tried one for breakfast Sunday morning and made deviled eggs for supper and there wasn't any off taste. I was definitely ready to spit it out though! I felt really sorry for the man or I would have walked away as soon as I got a whiff of the inside of his house. He and his dad live there alone and you could tell they were barely scraping out a living. He was so polite and nice that I couldn't be mean to him. I will definitely be going back to my regular egg lady, even though she lives twice as far and charges almost twice as much (because they're organic). I'll be really glad when mine start laying, hopefully in September.

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Glad they didn't taste bad,but what a distasteful experience. Yuck

10. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I just count it as another learning experience! [​IMG] We used to have a neighbor who would bring a plate of cookies over every Christmas. Well, she and her husband chain smoked and the cookies smelled and I'm sure tasted like the inside of an ashtray. I would thank her very politely and as soon as she went out the door, the cookies went into the outside trash! It was a shame, because they always looked really good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by