will my free ranging cat be a problem if free range my chickens?

SF FogHornFlock

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2016
Bay Area, California
Im still in the process of building my coop and run, and my current plan is to have my run also connect to a section of my yard that is enclosed by a old wire welded fenced area, so I can let my flock out every once in a while to spread their wings. My concern is I have a cat who likes to roam free as well and while I've never really seen the cat in the enclosed area I suspect if he wanted to he could find his way in. Will my cat cause a problem for my flock if I let them free range? any advice is welcome. Thanks everyone

Sorry you had to go through that, but thank you for the info. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have a problem with that otherwise I would have to plan on building a bigger run for them to stay in. Thanks again

Hi we have had new chickens a week now. We also have two cats both have free run of house and land, both were feral as kittens. We live in the countryside of Slovenia, and we have seen some mean strays too, and currently have a stray that visits now and again. Cats tend to have to be tough out here as they breed on farms and are left to run feral, our two are house tame now with lovely natures to humans and our dog. But it's a hard life for a cat with farms all over and land and territory to protect, our two are out most nights, rowing with the local Owl population and bringing home half eaten wild rabbits, massive moles, and all sorts of dead wild life gifts.
The day we brought our chickens home both cats came to the fence to have a look, I admit to being a bit concerned about this. However today we let our girls roam free from the coop, and they came close to the house and cats stalked and at one point teamed up to stalk but they are were curious but no not a problem at all. Although I did keep a beady eye on the cats and made sure I was available to intervene if needed. I let the chickens mix with the kids in the garden too. Our black cat Salem got a peck from the bossy hen as she sat on my granddaughters knee this afternoon all she did was run off. But I will still keep a eye out for the next few days just to be sure. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom