Will my gals eat insulation?

Goaldielocks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Southern Maine
Hi all!
I've looked, but can't seem to find the info that I need.
hmm.png

We are in the planning stage of building our coop and live in Southern Maine. I assume that we will need some sort of insulation. Can anyone recommend a type of insulation that the girls may not eat?
Any other advice while we are in the process of planning??
Thanks so much!

I am so excited to get our girls!!!
smile.png

Your best bet is to put up interior walls so the hens won't eat your insulation. OSB is pretty cheap and can be used for interior walls.

I used foam sheets (the pink stuff that is very rigid) because I didn't want to handle fiberglass rolls.
Once the chickens knew it was there, they spent hours trying to figure out new ways to sneak in and grab a bite! They set up diversions and it was eerily organized:)
I have scraps of osb and cheap, thin paneling covering it. The interior walls of the "human" section are not covered yet, and there are huge holes in the lower 18" of the insulation from one afternoon that the door was left open... chickens are no worse for wear. I don't think there is any type of insulation that they will not mess with. You have to cover it with something!

They will pick at anything you put up. If you must have insulation,you'll have to cover it up. I don't insulate my coops.I think it's easier to disinfect that way. It's cold in my area too,but if they are sheltered they will be fine. I 'm a stickler for not having anymore places for small critters to harbor.I'd be afraid of critters making homes behind your walls in the insulation. jmho Will

They will eat it like it's the best chicken scratch in the world. We covered ours with OSB on the interior walls.

We put up styraform on the inside of our coop's walls our birds love to eat it. It's not very funny when you have your incubator outside drying and its EATEN when you come back out to get it. We make sure to cover the coop walls with plywood now and the new icubator dries in the house. lol

My geese eating insulation and one getting very thin. Looks like hes not going to make weak, not eating.I think it is too late. Very sad should have not gone on a vacation and left husband to take care of my 12 week olds.

Back
Top Bottom