1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my gals eat insulation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Goaldielocks, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Goaldielocks

Goaldielocks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hi all!
    I've looked, but can't seem to find the info that I need. [​IMG]
    We are in the planning stage of building our coop and live in Southern Maine. I assume that we will need some sort of insulation. Can anyone recommend a type of insulation that the girls may not eat?
    Any other advice while we are in the process of planning??
    Thanks so much!

I am so excited to get our girls!!!
    [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Your best bet is to put up interior walls so the hens won't eat your insulation. OSB is pretty cheap and can be used for interior walls.

3. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    I used foam sheets (the pink stuff that is very rigid) because I didn't want to handle fiberglass rolls.
    Once the chickens knew it was there, they spent hours trying to figure out new ways to sneak in and grab a bite! They set up diversions and it was eerily organized:)
    I have scraps of osb and cheap, thin paneling covering it. The interior walls of the "human" section are not covered yet, and there are huge holes in the lower 18" of the insulation from one afternoon that the door was left open... chickens are no worse for wear. I don't think there is any type of insulation that they will not mess with. You have to cover it with something!

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    They will pick at anything you put up. If you must have insulation,you'll have to cover it up. I don't insulate my coops.I think it's easier to disinfect that way. It's cold in my area too,but if they are sheltered they will be fine. I 'm a stickler for not having anymore places for small critters to harbor.I'd be afraid of critters making homes behind your walls in the insulation. jmho Will

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, they eat insulation. Use thin plywood, or cheap secondhand panelling, or something like that to cover it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They will eat it like it's the best chicken scratch in the world. We covered ours with OSB on the interior walls.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We put up styraform on the inside of our coop's walls our birds love to eat it. It's not very funny when you have your incubator outside drying and its EATEN when you come back out to get it. We make sure to cover the coop walls with plywood now and the new icubator dries in the house. lol

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Maybe if you let them eat the insulation you won't have to worry about the eggs freezing in the winter. [​IMG]

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    HA! Opa made a funny!

They'll eat anything that isnt moving. Unless it's moving. In which case, they'll eat it.

10. JoAnn42

JoAnn42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    My geese eating insulation and one getting very thin. Looks like hes not going to make weak, not eating.I think it is too late. Very sad should have not gone on a vacation and left husband to take care of my 12 week olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by