1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my German Shepard ever get use to my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smalljewells, Jul 8, 2011.

1. smalljewells

smalljewells Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    So far my 6 week old chicks are still in a pen and have a good view of my GSD. He barks at them when they get active and they retreat into the coop... What happens if I let them free range? My GSD is on a line, but he can still be very intimidating when he wants to be! Will I ever be able to trust him?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    how old is he? what kind of prey drive does he have? does he know "leave it" ? Do you mean trust him outside alone or under supervision?

Really, it depends on all of the above factors. Rayden is the most trustworthy dog ever, but I never leave him with any other animals unattended.

The simplest solution (but still takes some time to train) is to teach "leave it"

put the dog on leash and go just to the point where the dog shows interest in the birds. When he shows interest say "leave it" and give a leash pop. when he looks at you say "YES!" and give a treat. After he is good at that distance at ignoring the birds, move a bit closer. If you find that he can't/won't focus on you, move farther away and practice there.

If he is tied in the yard, what exercise/play time does he get? Chickens aren't smart enough to figure out to stay away, so you will lose them if they wander over there.

3. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    I am right there with you. We have an eight month old GSD, she has been eye-balling the chickens ever since we got um (four months +/-). The other day she accually got in the run with them, (our fault), and she ran staight for the POOP. Whats that saying Shirt Happens?

4. smalljewells

Jun 17, 2011
    Thanks, I will have to try that. He really is a smart dog (as all GSD's are) but it all depends on the owner...me . I will really have to work with him. I will try your advice ... Thanks. I also have a Golden Retriever named Ruby. She like any bird dog is very interested in the chickens, but she is such a baby and has no interest in killing anything. I really think she just wants to catch them and bring them back to me. Both dogs do not go free in my yard unless me or my husband are around.

5. smalljewells

Jun 17, 2011
    Cat poop, chicken poop, poop .....doesn't matter, they love to eat it!

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh that's exactly what mine would do is eat poop (and kill my chickens when I wasn't looking). You should kennel off the GSD's when the chickens are out.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Our shepherd just turned 3.. when she was younger she was a holy terror to the birds.. she had to learn that they aren't toys.. now she's good around them..
    I just don't trust our mini dachshund.. he has way too much of a prey drive

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    honestly, most dogs that I've seen kill chickens don't even realize that they could EAT them. Dogs like to play; chickens run and make funny noises. Dog pounces on chicken; chicken goes squish. That one isn't fun anymore, so jump on the next one.

I don't even trust this guy unsupervised though...
    [​IMG]

9. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Quote:Yep, our puppy thought the cat litter box was her own private treat stash. Also, the other day she looked at me funny when I was urinating into her water bowl, the TOILET.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yep, our puppy thought the cat litter box was her own private treat stash. Also, the other day she looked at me funny when I was urinating into her water bowl, the TOILET.

But WHY, why do they have to love the cat crap?!! [​IMG] When my rottie was a pup there were a couple occasions when I caught him with a kitty litter mustache after he'd been litter box diving! Really, anything but that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by