Will my girl need a new friend?

puddinbabe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
I've had 2 chickens for the last year and a half. Today, I lost one of them as a result of internal laying. My other girl seemed fine today, as if nothing was different (the one that is left was the top dog). I am wondering if I will need to get her a new friend. She really liked to pull the feathers from the other's behind so I can see her being a bit of a bully to a new hen. I believe I have a NHR or Red Star. Any hens types that don't mix with these? All suggestions are welcome!

From what I know, yes you will need a mate for your remaining chicken. I think they need a group environment. They're not much for being alone.

Good luck!
smile.png

Yes, your hen will need a friend. Chickens are flock animals. Just remember.....keep the new one away from your hen for 30 days. Watch for disease, lice/mites.....then after 30 days...put the new hen in the coop, but in a small cage. This way they can see each other, and not fight....do this for at least a week or so. Then after you let the new hen out, make sure you can be there to watch for aggression. There will be some most likely at first, but they will settle in after they know who is the boss.

Sorry for your loss. I would find a new friend for my hen, but I would choose carefully so the new hen is not the recipient of bullying. You might ask around in your area, and find a good, solid barnyard hen that can take some knocks and not get frightened into submission - or become overly aggressive herself. There's a good "second in command" out there! Good luck.

Good call, sara ~ if you have the room, puddinbabe, you might consider 2-3 more hens. That might tilt the balance of power in the tiny hen world!
wink.png

And can you ever have too many chickens??? I mean really . . .

It depends on the bird too...
Obelisk is the single bird that I've had the longest and she's the queen...
She seems very happy by herself...but I can't say that for every bird...
I'd get a couple more for your singleton.

Back
Top Bottom