Will my girls use a door with a plastic flap?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kitchenella, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Hi, I'm thinking about winter. Here in Israel we get lots of wind and rain. My coop door which doubles as a ramp got badly warped and won't close. I was thinking of using heavy plastic to cover the door and leaving a flap at the bottom like a doggie door. Do you think they will use it?

Peggy

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Others have posted that their chickens will use a pet door. But it might take a while to train. Does it get cold enough in Israel to worry about it? Cold enough and temperature change from summer?

Imp

3. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Quote:I gets into the upper 30's now but ususally is in the 40's and 50's. Its the rain I worry about. I only have 3 hens and a small coop. I use shredded newspaper for litter. I'm worried the rain will blow in and the coop floor will get very wet. Sometimes the rain is horizontal here in the winter with the high winds.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I gets into the upper 30's now but ususally is in the 40's and 50's. Its the rain I worry about. I only have 3 hens and a small coop. I use shredded newspaper for litter. I'm worried the rain will blow in and the coop floor will get very wet. Sometimes the rain is horizontal here in the winter with the high winds.

You must be my seperated at birth twin, Lol. I live in Seattle, Washington. Well known for rain and winter temps in the 30's- 50's, with the occasional winter storm. And I use shredded newspaper for the litter. And, Yes I would worry about it getting wet. I vote to get it covered as best you can. Maybe if the chickens are hesitant about going through plastic you could prop up a piece of plywood or something to cover the gap, Good luck.

Imp/Russ

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Yes they will use it, it just takes time. I have covers on all of my pop doors. It sometimes help to only cover half of the door at frist and let them get used to that. Then cover it fully. Some catch on faster than others. But yes they will use the door.

6. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    if yall have preditors like dogs i would not

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Well, some people hang burlap or the like over the nests, and they do go inside that. So, I am thinking they would also go through a flap. Maybe cut the flap in half (lengthwise)???

8. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing. Today I went out and covered my chicken's door with heavy plastic. I cut the plastic virtically four times. They didn't know what to do so I pulled up two of the four flaps and they walked through. Later this evening there was a t-storm coming and the wind picked up making all four flaps come down over the door. The door was completely covered. My dog got into the run, as he usually does, and scared the chickens. They had no problem going through the plastic door to get inside the coop. I wonder if they will come outside the coop tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted on that.

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I've heard other peoples chickens will do thru the plastic flaps. I would still be worried though if your door can't close at all, what about night time predators that could sneak into the coop?

10. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing. Today I went out and covered my chicken's door with heavy plastic. I cut the plastic virtically four times. They didn't know what to do so I pulled up two of the four flaps and they walked through. Later this evening there was a t-storm coming and the wind picked up making all four flaps come down over the door. The door was completely covered. My dog got into the run, as he usually does, and scared the chickens. They had no problem going through the plastic door to get inside the coop. I wonder if they will come outside the coop tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted on that.

all my girls were outside this morning! The only preditors I've seen around here are hawks so yhe run is covered with wire. I'm not saying there aren't any others around though. We have a big dog issue as well. We tested out the coop using our own dog and he was unable to get into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by