Will my guineas cross the road to get to neighbors guineas?

livisfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I'm planning on getting my first guineas. My inlaws have some and they live directly across the street from me. We are going to get keets, and they will be raised on my property. We are mainly getting them for pest control we are in Northeast Ohio and are having issues with ticks in our yard, and on our kids. My question is will my guineas cross the road if they hear my inlaws guineas?

Welcome to BYC!
Is you do not have your guineas in a cage type house they can go where ever they want when ever they want. ;)

I understand, so i guess my question is... Is it a bad idea to get them because they will be more likely to cross the road to get to the other guineas, Or is it no more likely that they will cross than any other free range guineas?

I understand, so i guess my question is... Is it a bad idea to get them because they will be more likely to cross the road to get to the other guineas, Or is it no more likely that they will cross than any other free range guineas?

Your guineas will be in the road all the time. Guineas LOVE to be in the road, I don't know why, but they do. It is a VERY common complaint about them.

Also, in your scenario, you must understand that guineas are flock animals. They like to live in large groups. With another guinea flock so close by, it is entirely possible that your guineas will decide to live permanently across the road with your inlaws (or maybe your inlaws' guineas will decide to move to your place). In either case, guineas do not observe property lines or roads like humans do, they will roam anywhere they please. We live in a very rural area, surrounded by cornfields, our 16 guineas roam for about a quarter mile radius. I wish they would stick closer to home and clean up all the ticks on the place before they go wandering, but no...

It depends on your goal of raising guineas. They eat way more ticks than chickens do. They will definitely decrease the number of ticks on your place, just might not make it completely tick-free. If you want noisy birds that let you know when anything is going on, guineas are it. So ugly they are cute in a weird way, guineas.

You can find irritating and entertaining personalities in both guineas and chickens.

If you want friendly birds for pets, you want chickens. If you want eggs, chickens.

I really do like my guineas (6 months of the year). When its cold and they don't free range much and there are no bugs to eat, they are more frustrating.

That article is great! Like i said my in laws have them across the street so im used to the noise. We hear them at night sounding the alarm. They haven't had a bullying issue over there with the chickens i dont think. Im just worried i will get them and they will move in across the street. I had ducks until they abandoned me and my kiddie pool for my next door neighbor and his pond haha. Luckily he likes them and feeds them. I guess if i get them and they move out ill just fill the coop with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom