Will my hen die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laughingclown, Mar 18, 2012.

1. laughingclown

laughingclown Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Linden, Michigan
    I let my chickens out to free range for a couple hours today. One of my hens found a cigarette butt filter and ate it before I could get it from her. I don't know where it came from. Freaking out right now. So does anyone think she will make it?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm GUESSING she'll be fine....anyone else?

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    As long as the filter wasn't plastic, she should be able to break it down (ewwww). I bet the face she made when swallowing was priceless!
    Ewwww.....reminds me of the day my young son ate a ladybug (he was 8mo?)...hey it was walking across his high chair table beside his cheerios....why not?! Now THAT was a kodak moment! Too bad I was too grossed out to grab the camera - and then laughing so hard I nearly swallowed my own tongue! I'll never forget that face!

4. I think she'll be fine. It won't clog her up, I hope. I don't think cigarette butts swell when they get wet but I'm not a smoker, maybe someone else knows? If they don't swell, she'll probably pass it just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by