Will my hen ever be broody?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Joey8765, May 18, 2010.

1. Joey8765

Joey8765 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    I have 4 isa browns and i heard they dont go broody. true? i put some eggs in the nest box tonight to see if they might jump on them and go broody.. is there any way for them to go broody?

2. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:I would assume that they wouldn't, since they are bred for egg production and not for broodiness. I know that RIR's don't go broody, but I'm not sure about RIW's. If one decides to go broody, it will probably be at the most inconvenient time possible [​IMG]

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I've had ISA browns for a couple of years, and in that time none of them went broody. It's a long shot, but I found that putting golf balls in my nest boxes helped make my broody hens brood longer (like three months compared the the usual four or five weeks). Maybe your hens will feel like going broody if there is always an egg (err. . . golf ball) in the nest box.

If you really want a broody hen, though, I've heard having a silkie around is always a good option, though I've found that my Easter Eggers have gone broody 2 or 3 times a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by