Will my hen go broody?

Old Ben

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
So I’ve been hoping that my hen is getting ready to go broody, she showed signs of it 3 days ago. And now she’s got 9 eggs in the nest box. Now, I’d rather have her hatch other eggs that I’d buy online. But because I want her to go broody I haven’t taken them from the nest box yet. I’m aware she hasn’t laid 9 eggs in three days, obviously other hens are laying in that box. But will she still go broody if she sees a nest full of eggs even if she didn’t lay all of them? Or if she hasn’t gone broody at this point do you not think she will? I don’t want to waist all those eggs if she’s not going to. She’s a silver laced Wyandotte and she’s around 8-9 months old.

Much like anything else related to chickens... Chickens do what they want. If she's not sitting on the eggs I'd just gather them up. She could decide to go broody, in which case she'll just accumulate a new nest. If she does go broody she will not care who's eggs she sits on and will be more than willing to steal other eggs to add to her nest. It's a good idea (if you aren't planning on separating her) to mark which eggs she was sitting on over the first couple of days and then remove any new ones that magically appear. That way you don't have her end up half incubating eggs that were laid and stolen days/weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom